Lesson Plan: Dishwashing
National FCS Standards:
8.0: Food Production and Services
8.2.2 Employ food service management safety/sanitation program procedures, including CPR and first aid.
8.2.7 Demonstrate safe food handling and preparation techniques that prevent cross contamination from potentially hazardous foods, between raw and ready-to-eat foods, and between animal and fish sources and other food products.
Common Core State Standards:
RST.9-10.3 Follow precisely a complex multistep procedure when carrying out experiments, taking measurements, or performing technical tasks, attending to special cases or exceptions defined in the text.
Students in a Culinary Program must understand the procedures to keep a kitchen free of food borne illnesses through proper dishwashing techniques.
Students will understand and demonstrate proper safety procedures to washing dishes.
Time: 1 – 50 minute class period
- 2 Sinks and tub or 3 sink dishwashing system
- Bleach/sanitizing solution
- Garage bowl/compost for waste
Anticipatory Set: Explain to students that they will be learning how to properly wash dishes.
- Show and discuss Dishwashing Article or Dishwashing Powerpoint. Have students take notes and discuss each slide.
- Have students practice setting up dishwashing station.
- Students will take the written quiz: Dishwashing Written Quiz . The quiz is also available to take online at Sanitation Tips: Foods and Nutrition or Dishwashing Quiz – Google Docs.
- Students who were absent can access the Powerpoints and quiz online.
- Dishwashing Quiz and Key
- Dishwashing Online Quiz – Student copy
- Dishwashing Online Quiz – Teacher copy and student results