April 2017 – Online Culinary Courses
April 2015 – Science Takeout Training Resources
- Nutrition/Label Materials that replace the old Spot the Block items.
- The new Label Outreach Campaign:
- Healthy Cuisine for Kids – A comprehensive cooking curriculum from the National Foodservice Management Institute
August 2014 – WA-ACTE Summer Conference Presentation Materials
- Healthy Habits in the Classroom – Kate Sansom & Juanita Silva, Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital
- Integrating Industry Professionals into the FACSE Culinary Arts Curriculum – Kahale Ahina
- Science Take Out – Joy Wilson
- Smart Snacks in Schools – Mary Nagel, Smart Snacks in Schools Resources
- Top Chef Competition – Kahale Ahina
- Information on the Food Safety Modernization Act provided by Katom Restaurant Supply
December 03, 2013
Peggy Templeton’s STEM Curriculum (December 2013)
- STEM in Food Science – Integrating STEM in Middle & High School Level Food Science introduction PowerPoint.
- Understanding the Metric System – PowerPoint on visual understanding of the metric system.
- Chemical Reactions in the Stomach – PowerPoint featuring Mentos+Soda Pop activity.
- Acids and Bases in Cooking – Explanation on acids and bases in Food Science.
- Quick Leavening Agents – A baker’s friend -leavening agents. PowerPoint with experiment instructions.
- The Science of Salsa – PowerPoint integrating STEM.
- Washington Grapes – Science of fermentation as pertains to the Washington grape/wine industry.
- Yeast – PowerPoint with visuals for experiment.
- Egg Experiments – Teaching proper egg cookery when boiling eggs – Protein coagulation and sulfur.
Food Allergies –
- CDC unveils food allergy guidelines for schools – CBS News – October 30, 2013
- Voluntary Guidelines for Managing Food Allergies In Schools and Early Care and Education Programs – CDC Publication – 2013
Food choices – A sampling of concepts and processes included in a typical course include: 1) Knowledge of what a local food community is and the participant’s role in creating food communities. 2) Basic information on organic farm production. 3) An applied philosophy of environmental stewardship through purchasing and kitchen practices. 4) Understanding ways the globalization of the food system impacts our natural environment. 5) Biodiversity and our food environment.
Healthy Kids Apps – These apps offer a variety of games related to nutrition and exercise developed by students.
KP Compass is a student-centered learning management system (LMS) that replaces or supplements textbooks. The platform goes beyond the e-book, or even the iBook 2, by offering a truly personalized learning environment for each user. Assessments are tied directly to the content, and remediation occurs automatically. For teachers, it is the all-in-one platform to deliver content to learners and to assess their progress. Curriculum topics include culinary arts, food science, foods & nutrition, restaurant waitstaff training, and job skills training. Available by subscription.
Washington State Safety Project – Google Drive Folder with multiple resources for the FACS teacher to use to teach safety in all curriculum areas. Materials and online tests also housed at KPCompass website. After creating a log in, enter the course code: VXMQNH9P to access all learning materials and tests. Teachers wishing to have their own “classroom” on the website will have complete access to student progress in each module. Contact Dawn Boyden at Dawn_Boyden@lkstevens.wednet.edu to have your classroom set up.