Ingredients are a great “test kitchen” STEAM focus– each ingredient has functions, if you want to create or adapt recipes for specific customers or needs, it requires students to hypothesize, test recipe outcomes using controls and variables and consumer -test the results.
- Check out agricultural and ingredient links from HBA’s many members. Examples are
- All about Sugar, https://www.sugar.org/all-about-sugar/
- All about Washington grown grains http://wagrains.org/all-about-wheat/
- Test kitchen process behind recipe development, tips, techniques https://www.landolakes.com/testkitchen/
- A Baker’s Dozen Smart Snack Recipes are ready for your FACS classroom and bake sales. https://homebakingassociation.wordpress.com/
- Science includes baking food safety. Help students “temp” their baked goods too, and follow critical food safety practices for selling baked goods. http://www.homebaking.org/PDF/HomeBakingFoodSafety101.pdf